Uttarakhand is a blessed Indian state surrounded by the great snow-covered Himalayan peaks. Countless of trekkers, travelers, and backpackers visit the state every year. Uttarakhand is a serene and spiritual state. The state has so much to offer to its visitors. When it comes to sightseeing in amazing places – Mussoorie, Dehradun, Nainital, etc. will fuel your soul. Rishikesh, Haridwar, Kedarnath, Badrinath are some of the topmost spiritual places. When it comes to trekking- Kedarkantha comes with a complete package of fun, thrill, and adventure.
Perched at an elevation of 3,800 meters, Kedarkantha is nestled in the Garhwal Himalayas in Uttarakhand. The trek is truly a trekker’s delight. It is dedicated to Hindu Lord Shiva. At the top of the peak, an old temple of Lord Shiva is located.
The grade level of the Kedarkantha trek is easy to moderate and is ideal for first-time trekkers, as well as for avid trekkers. The total distance of the trek is 24 km and can be covered in 3 to 5 days (depends on your speed).
Starting point- Sankri
Trek distance- 24 km
Maximum Elevation- 3800 meters
- Jadu Ka Talab
- Shiv Temple
- Har Gaon
- Swargarohini peak, Black peak, Bandarpunch, Ranglana
Kedarkantha trek experience is a good and unforgettable one. You will never forget this classic snow trek for all your life. And if you are a beginner, you will learn many new trekking skills, the experience of surviving and staying at the summit in low temperature and limited food and water.
The starting point of the Kedarkantha trek is Sankri village. To reach there you have to reach Dehradun first which is the capital city of Uttarakhand and is well-connected to all the major cities of India like Delhi, Chandigarh, Kolkata, etc.
You can also reach Dehradun by taking a direct flight or train from Delhi if you want to go there via road. Upon reaching there, you have to take a local bus or taxi to reach Sankri which is 200km from Dehradun.
This amazing adventurous trek will take give you an unforgettable experience. A perfect snow escape to the Himalayas will be mesmerizing. The trek is considered of moderate difficulty but it is a perfect pick for both beginners and ardent trekkers. Apart from trekking, you can also enjoy Camping, Hiking, Mountain Biking at higher altitudes.
The best time to undertake this trek to experience the chilly vibes is in the winter season. Dehradun is well-connected to all the major cities like Delhi, Chandigarh, Mumbai, etc. You can take a direct flight, bus, or train from Delhi and reach Dehradun. Then from there, you need to take a taxi or local bus to reach Sankri 200km away from Dehradun. Sankri is a small quaint village full of rich culture and amazing scenery. Kedarkantha offers a chance to explore the Garhwal lifestyle, traditions, and culture to its visitors. You will get a chance to enjoy the delicious Pahadi food.
Things to pack for Kedarkantha trek:
- Woolen clothes, Down jacket, Flee jacket
- Thermal wear (top & bottom)
- Extra pair of socks and waterproof gloves
- Trekking shoes- water-resistant- must bring
- First aid kit including water purification tablets
- Water bottle (2-3 liters)
- Munching items like chips. Chikki etc.
- Swiss knife- a multipurpose toolset
- Trouser or trek pants and T-shirts
- Raincover, Umbrella, and raincoat
- Essential toiletries like toothbrush, toothpaste, body wipes, face wipes, a small bottle of shampoo, paper soap, comb, etc.
And whatever you feel is important to carry you can pack. But do carry all the necessary tablets. Try to carry the minimum weight of 10-12kg and travel light like a pro. Remember all the important points that you should know about the trek. Read blogs and articles to know about the place more. If you are traveling in a group, follow the instructions of your team leader.
- It is advised to follow the instructions of the trek leader. Do not wander off on your own
- If you are suffering from Asthma, blood pressure, and heart-related problems then it is advised not to undertake this trek.
- Exercise, meditate and do yoga at least 2 weeks prior to the trek.
- Eat healthily
- Do not litter around and keep the surroundings clean and green.
- Harm no animals and plants